Reviewed by Dominique Leone (Pitchfork)
It's always a joy to find out the music I'm jamming to was reported dead months ago. You know how it goes: you pick up a record, give it a few spins, run out to tell all your friends about it, and BAM! "Dude, wake up, nobody listens to that anymore." Apparently the only crime worse than listening to out-of-date shit is not realizing it's out of date. For non-hipsters, it can be pretty confusing, especially in fields of music (like electronica) that
Reviewed by Matt Gonzales (popmatters.com)
ike Paradinas is µ-Ziq, pronounced, simply, "music." He has released music under various appellations, among them "Jake Slazenger" and "Kid Spatula". But his primary moniker is µ-Ziq. There is no way to properly capitalize µ-Ziq. According to my PC's character map, "µ" is a micro sign. It is also the symbol for the Greek letter "mu." Hence the pronunciation, "mu-sic".
It is all very abstract.
Abstract as well is the music on µ-Ziq's
Like broken glass on the sidewalk debris and clutter also dominate the music of µ-zig. After some years without a proper release under this moniker Mike Paradinas returns with a heavy and diverse album of electronic tracks that feature it all: harsh gabber, techno, even a little 2-step and drum’n’bass – all of it in true µ-zig style which means all mixed into one. This one is not for the faint-hearted nor for the party-people. Yet the album is
Reviewed by Gary Suarez (brainwashed.com)
After several years of collaborative and one-off solo projects, Mike Paradinas finally returns to the moniker that he is most recognized for. Threatened to be his final µ-ziq album, Bilious Paths offers 53 thrilling minutes of eclectic electronics, including bits of hardcore, funk, hip-hop, 2-step, rave and, of course, drill n bass. Apparently the other artists on his Planet Mu roster have been influential to Paradinas, embedding their essence in
- Darqwan - M/a...ximum Reespek
- iTAL tEK - Blood Line
- Ceephax - Megalift E.P.
- The Doubtful Guest - Electrobotz
- Milanese - Extend
- Pinch - Punisher
- Mary Anne Hobbs - Warrior Dubz
- Tim Exile - Tim Exile's Nuisance Gabbaret Lounge
- Venetian Snares - Cavalcade Of Glee And Dadaist Happy Hardcore Pom Poms
- Boxcutter - Oneiric
- Boxcutter - Tauhid
- Uniform - Protocol
- Shitmat & Friends - Gary's Gruesome Remixes
- Guilty Connector - Beats, Noise & Life
- The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble - The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble
- Venetian Snares - Hospitality
- The Gasman - This One's For You
- Breakage - Drowning
- Equinox - Acid Rain V.I.P.
- Pinch - Qawwali
- Virus Syndicate - Ready To Learn
- Virus Syndicate - Ready To Learn Remix
- Vex'd - Bombardment Of Saturn
- µ-Ziq - Ease Up