Reviewed by adam anonymous (drowned in sound)
Let’s get things straight: Venetian Snares is not for the faint of heart. If regular electronica gets you thinking “ooh, all a bit unlistenable”, you may as well get fucked in the face as soon as listen to this.
The man otherwise known as Aaron Funk (honest to God!) flips his beat scattergun around with concurrent nonchalance and malevolence – too tuneful to be noise, too noisy to be tuneful.
Winnipeg’s weirdest isn’t some
Reviewed by Claire Hughes (DJ magazine)
This, Aaron Funk's third album, is avant-garde freakery that even Bjork would raise an eyebrow at. It's the sonic musings of a disturbed mind that you get here with harsh, squeaky, screeching atmospherics often stretched over traditional strings and mellifluous piano sections. Lead track "dad" is breakcore mayhem featuring vocals from Aaron himself while the staccato bleeps on "Suffocate" are stiflingly claustrophobic. If 70s cult movie Taxi Driver
I had a dream you were still alive.
Reviewed by Tim Jonze (Careless Talk Costs Lives)
So reveals Aaron Funk (Winnipeg, Canada's king of the breakcore) at the beginning of "Dad", before describing how his father whistled to his favourite parts of records, the brown and black (brown plaid?) shirt he always wore, the secret signals they would make together and the goodnight kisses.
"Winter In The Belly Of A Snake" doesn't just feel like there's a ghost watching over it. It feels like there's one breathing inside it. It's there
Fuck all this guitar shit
Reviewed by adam anonymous (bleed-music.com)
Folklore declares Aphex Twin had a brother who died at birth, but it appears he may have just moved to Winnipeg. And gone insane. Hello to you Venetian Snares.
For anyone new to calculated beat nihilism of the highest degree, perhaps the man born Aaron Funk (honestly! – amazing name!) is not the best place to start. Akin to a teetotaller suddenly necking a speedball washed down by two litres of moonshine, at best it’ll wreck your head. The
- Eskmo - Let Them Sing
- Ikonika - Smuck
- Geiom & Shortstuff - No Hand Signals
- Starkey - OK Luv
- Raffertie - 7th Dimension
- Ceephax Acid Crew - United Acid Emirates
- Kuedo - Dream Sequence E.P.
- Starkey - Ephemeral Exhibits
- Neil Landstrumm - Lord For £39
- Distance - Repercussions
- Last Step - 1961
- Mrs Jynx - The Standoffish Cat
- Venetian Snares - My Downfall (Original Soundtrack)
- Meat Beat Manifesto - Autoimmune
- iTAL tEK - Cyclical
- Mary Anne Hobbs - Evangeline
- Venetian Snares - Miss Balaton
- Various Production & Virus Syndicate - Apollo/Neva Argue
- Sunken Foal - Fermented Condiments
- Sunken Foal - Fallen Arches
- Venetian Snares - Detrimentalist
- The Gasman - Superlife
- Eero Johannes - Eero Johannes
- Virus Syndicate - Sick Pay