Reviewed by ms2000 (freq.org)
This album rocks like a solid gold bastard. This is how Hardcore should be. It's dirty and brutal to the nth degree. Hellfish will have you bouncing off the walls with this corrosive sonic collage.
Hardcore Techno has it's origins in Hardcore Rave and Gabba - that wonderful amphetamines-only Dutch creation. The sound has much more of a Rap influence here though. So much for the lesson. I've heard me fair share of Hardcore Techno. It's banging
There's such a thin line between clever and stupid, and these guys know exactly where to draw it. Lesser goes straight for excess, not giving a good goddamn what anyone thinks about it. Each track seems ready to tear itself apart in pursuit of new ideas, making Kid606's dancehall mix of this EP's title track feel positively tranquil by comparison. banging on your eardrums with some deeply supple breaks and beats, Hellfish brings a malign spirit of
Noise producer back for more
Flying solo this time after last year's frenzied "Constant Mutation" link-up with Producer, Essex label boss Hellfish has here assembled all the right elements for the best hardfloor drum'n'bastard stormtrooper death-disko album ever.
An ingredients list: techno-fucked, electro buggered vocals worthy of sonic terrorists V/Vm, kamikazee future-metal noise beats reminiscent of the Digital Hardcore crew, booming old-skool rap snippets and howling
...At the other end of the spectrum lies DJ Hellfish, whose Meat Machine Broadcast System (Planet Mu, ZIQ041) follows last year’s Constant Mutation. Perhaps one of the most anticipated Planet Mu releases of the year, Meat Machine Broadcast System is a truly violent record, infected by convulsive electro-shocks, breakbeat twinges and sniper-like beats. This album can be a bit of a handful for the non-initiated, but with endorsement by the likes of
- Various - The Cosmic Forces Of Mu
- Venetian Snares - Defluxion
- Venetian Snares & Speedranch - Making Orange Things
- Joseph Nothing - Dummy Variations
- Hrvatski - Swarm & Dither
- Mu Allstars - Criminal
- Hellfish & Producer - Constant Mutation (Mixed)
- Leafcutter John - Microcontact
- Nicole Elmer - Beef Bouilion
- Tim Tetlow - Beauty Walks A Razor's Edge
- Phthalocyanine - 25 Tracks Fer 1 Track
- Leafcutter John - Concourse E.E.P.
- Luke Vibert - '95-'99
- Jega - Geometry
- Capitol K - Roadeater E.P.
- Kid Spatula - Full Sunken Breaks
- Jega & Kid Spatula - Unity Gain / Hard Love
- Capitol K - Sounds Of The Empire
- Slag Boom Van Loon - So Soon
- Tusken Raiders - The Motorbike Track
- Slag Boom Van Loon - Slag Boom Van Loon
- Jega - Spectrum
- Horse Opera - 3 Cornered Room
- Capitol K - Island Row