In an age when The Popstars are assured of a 'straight in at number one' even before the band has formed let alone "written" the song it seems increasingly hard to accept that there is any musical dimension to the formula for popular appeal. Not that Venetian Snares or Speedranch have ever given a fuck about popular appeal. Preferring instead to tread a highly individual path that follows the almost indistiquishable line between music and noise. This
as tom@spectre puts it, "violence is good for you," and in this respect "making orange things" is as good as it gets. I am sure that by this time you heard a thing or two about prolific canadian "wunderkind" mr. snares, that has been recently signed by planet mu.
mr. snares is making orange things together with speedranch. some of you are probably familiar with him by his collaboration with part of v/vm, jansky noise. you might find interesting
Reviewed by Tom Mugridge (Muzik)
"But when it sounds this good who cares?" reviewers like to say when they've outlined several reasons why a record is rubbish but want you to buy it anyway, usually because it's by their mate, or it's currently trendy. Venetian Snares makes deeply unfashionable speedcore breakbeat; Speedranch is by all accounts thoroughly unpleasant (and a "singer" in the sense that a dentist's drill is a "musical instrument"); and "Orange Things" is by turns puerile, unlistenable and deliberately obnoxious. But in all honesty, when it sounds this good...
Reviewed by Tim diGravina (all music guide)
Making Orange Things is the result of an Internet collaboration between Canadian Aaron Funk (aka Venetian Snares) and U.K. noise-addict Speedranch. From the get go, sonic assault is the goal. While it's hard to call anything on the album a melody, pleasant musical flourishes are buried beneath the squalid walls of noise. Bits of mad Caustic Window screeching nestle violently alongside loads of Skinny Puppy-style cut-and-paste sample trickery and V/Vm
- Various - The Cosmic Forces Of Mu
- Venetian Snares - Defluxion
- Venetian Snares & Speedranch - Making Orange Things
- Joseph Nothing - Dummy Variations
- Hrvatski - Swarm & Dither
- Mu Allstars - Criminal
- Hellfish & Producer - Constant Mutation (Mixed)
- Leafcutter John - Microcontact
- Nicole Elmer - Beef Bouilion
- Tim Tetlow - Beauty Walks A Razor's Edge
- Phthalocyanine - 25 Tracks Fer 1 Track
- Leafcutter John - Concourse E.E.P.
- Luke Vibert - '95-'99
- Jega - Geometry
- Capitol K - Roadeater E.P.
- Kid Spatula - Full Sunken Breaks
- Jega & Kid Spatula - Unity Gain / Hard Love
- Capitol K - Sounds Of The Empire
- Slag Boom Van Loon - So Soon
- Tusken Raiders - The Motorbike Track
- Slag Boom Van Loon - Slag Boom Van Loon
- Jega - Spectrum
- Horse Opera - 3 Cornered Room
- Capitol K - Island Row