Speaking of extremities... Making Orange Things is pretty bloody damaging to speakers and eardrums. A sonic collision of all-out beats, triggers, distorts and layer-on-layer of sampled noise. Nasty as fuck, this is an insane brain-numbing assault of structures and non-structures. Voices scream through the mayhem of percussive waves, in turn becoming another noise adding to the mix. Strangely, overall, the sound isn't as dirty as it could be and the
Prior to getting this release I must admit that my knowledge of the music of Venetian Snares was limited, I was definitely aware of the band but I had only previously heard one compilation track. Likewise with Speedranch, I was aware more of their reputation than of their actual music again having only heard a few tracks by them and Jansky Noise. Having said that I was sufficiently interested to pick up this recent collaborative release. As far as I
Reviewed by Xander Hoose (Rock-E-Zine)
Ears pounding. Brain frying. Memory blanking. This. Hurts. Bad! Without doubt, the collaboration between Speedranch and Venetian Snares is the most violent, aggressive and loudest album to see the light in modern day 2001. Making Orange Things is completely composed and constructed by swapping samples back and forth over ICQ, as Speedranch lives in England and vSnares in Canada. The result isn't any less devestating. Imagine Atari Teenage Riot.
Venetian Snares and Speedranch take a Roland 909 around the track at Rotterdam hardcore speed, adding plenty of Kid 606 / Lesser style noise assaults, possibly the result of a serious chemical dependency. These two electronic maniacs then drop in plenty of pop cultural references from Michael Jackson, Patsy Cline, Bon Jovi, and Elvis... which get obliterated by an arsenal of time stretched phaser fire and digital dive bomb kamakazi runs. Not as punk as Digital Hardcore, but just as active in promoting the most x-treme in electronics. Recommended!
- Various - The Cosmic Forces Of Mu
- Venetian Snares - Defluxion
- Venetian Snares & Speedranch - Making Orange Things
- Joseph Nothing - Dummy Variations
- Hrvatski - Swarm & Dither
- Mu Allstars - Criminal
- Hellfish & Producer - Constant Mutation (Mixed)
- Leafcutter John - Microcontact
- Nicole Elmer - Beef Bouilion
- Tim Tetlow - Beauty Walks A Razor's Edge
- Phthalocyanine - 25 Tracks Fer 1 Track
- Leafcutter John - Concourse E.E.P.
- Luke Vibert - '95-'99
- Jega - Geometry
- Capitol K - Roadeater E.P.
- Kid Spatula - Full Sunken Breaks
- Jega & Kid Spatula - Unity Gain / Hard Love
- Capitol K - Sounds Of The Empire
- Slag Boom Van Loon - So Soon
- Tusken Raiders - The Motorbike Track
- Slag Boom Van Loon - Slag Boom Van Loon
- Jega - Spectrum
- Horse Opera - 3 Cornered Room
- Capitol K - Island Row