Reviewed by Gal Detourn (iDJ)
Joseph Nothing, AKA Tatsuya Joseph Yoshida, has certainly taken a page or two out of his label boss's (Uziq/Mike Paradinas) book of electronic shenanigans. However, there's enough here that's fresh too. Spluttering beats that ocasionally splutter in a way all of their own, and inventive touches like the mangled indian vibes meets dub contortions of Exotic Man Walking. In the wake of many digital explorers, this particular blueprint comes over like a
Reviewed by Robert Heller (playlouder.com)
Accordions. Not rock'n'roll. Definitely not techno. Which is why 'A Shine On Your Head', the fluffy-speedy-Lego-brick rave anthem opening 'Dummy Variations' is so darn excellent. Breakbeats fast-forward maniacally while our squeezy friend belts out the sort of child-like tune which fills the world with innocent beaming improbable loveliness. This is the odd but really rather likeable world of Japan's Tatsuya Joseph Yoshida, aka Joseph Nothing.
Reviewed by Tim Roach (Jockey Slut)
The debut LP by well-travelled young producer Tatsuya Joseph Yoshida presents a more playful side of electronica than those of most of his peers, appearingmuch longer than it's 45-minute running time due to the quick-fire nature of the 17 tracks. The intense computerised rhythms that currently rule the genre are cut up with a scrapbook honesty so, in "Every Beauty Has It's Scum", the hardcore rave pretensions of some producers are used purely for the
Reviewed by John Mulvey (NME)
Pass the Sunny Delight ands the revolver. "Dummy Variations" is the not entirely pleasant sound of kindergarten anarchy, where the heads of Teletubbies are paraded on sticks and the nursery is equipped with padded walls. Its main conceit is to take saccharine melodies, the sort built into toys and music boxes, and then corrupt themn with a barrage of drill'n'bass, creating a hyperactive equivalent to Boards Of Canada's creepy evocations of childhood.
- Various - The Cosmic Forces Of Mu
- Venetian Snares - Defluxion
- Venetian Snares & Speedranch - Making Orange Things
- Joseph Nothing - Dummy Variations
- Hrvatski - Swarm & Dither
- Mu Allstars - Criminal
- Hellfish & Producer - Constant Mutation (Mixed)
- Leafcutter John - Microcontact
- Nicole Elmer - Beef Bouilion
- Tim Tetlow - Beauty Walks A Razor's Edge
- Phthalocyanine - 25 Tracks Fer 1 Track
- Leafcutter John - Concourse E.E.P.
- Luke Vibert - '95-'99
- Jega - Geometry
- Capitol K - Roadeater E.P.
- Kid Spatula - Full Sunken Breaks
- Jega & Kid Spatula - Unity Gain / Hard Love
- Capitol K - Sounds Of The Empire
- Slag Boom Van Loon - So Soon
- Tusken Raiders - The Motorbike Track
- Slag Boom Van Loon - Slag Boom Van Loon
- Jega - Spectrum
- Horse Opera - 3 Cornered Room
- Capitol K - Island Row