Tatsuya Yoshida, as he is known to his parents, releases his first album under his Joseph Nothing moniker on Michael Paradinas’ Planet Mu label. Reminiscent of both Paradinas’ µ-ziq and Richard D. James’ Aphex Twin projects, Yoshida also brings his own personality to a funky and imaginative record.
All along this album, the shadows of his masters are present, especially on tracks like A Shine On Your Head or Ballad For The Unloved, where Nothing displays a comparable ability to Paradinas or James with drill’n’bass ambiences. However, Yoshida also creates more clever songs, using a plethora of noises and beat configurations, as in the hip-hop inspired Exotic Man Walking or Divine Lowlife, the bouncy electro-pop So Far So Good or the pac-man-esque Disc O’Nostalgia. All the way through, Yoshida applies sounds and effects to child-like melodies, turning them into humorous little odysseys, ranging from totally innocent to messy punk-ish tracks, with no particular order. Tracks like But Not For Me or The Day Before Yesterday are impressive by their melodic qualities and catchy feel. But then, Every Beauty Has It’s Scum, So Far So Good or Belly Button Queen are far more deconstructed. Yoshita has a tendency to disregard the rules, and genres collide when least expected, which makes Dummy Variations a refreshing experience.
Keeping well in line with most of Planet Mu releases, Joseph Nothing’s Dummy Variation is very heteroclite, and by scattering his little gems all along, he remains in control of a very creative and amusing record.
- Last Step - You're A Nice Girl
- Dolphin & The Teknoist - Soul Cannibal / Closing Down
- Bizzy B - Science EP Vol V
- Kyler - Pur Cosy Tales
- Hellfish - One Man Sonic Attack Force
- Virus Syndicate - The Work-Related Illness
- Virus Syndicate - Slow Down
- Shitmat - The Lesser Spotted Burberry EP
- Bizzy B - Science EP Volumes III + IV
- Bizzy B - Science EP Vol IV
- Exile - Pro Agonist
- Vex'd - Degenerate
- Vex'd - Gunman
- John B & Exile - Broken Language
- Mark One - One Way
- Venetian Snares & Bong-Ra - 4 Adaptations Of Rossz Csillag Alatt Született
- Venetian Snares - Rossz Csillag Alatt Született
- Ed Lawes - 14 Tracks/Pieces
- Eight Frozen Modules - DJ, Riddim & Source E.P.
- dDamage - Pressure
- Bizzy B - Science EP Vol III
- Hawerchuk - Camel Toe
- Shitmat - Full English Breakfest