Tatsuya Yoshida, as he is known to his parents, releases his first album under his Joseph Nothing moniker on Michael Paradinas’ Planet Mu label. Reminiscent of both Paradinas’ µ-ziq and Richard D. James’ Aphex Twin projects, Yoshida also brings his own personality to a funky and imaginative record.
All along this album, the shadows of his masters are present, especially on tracks like A Shine On Your Head or Ballad For The Unloved, where Nothing displays a comparable ability to Paradinas or James with drill’n’bass ambiences. However, Yoshida also creates more clever songs, using a plethora of noises and beat configurations, as in the hip-hop inspired Exotic Man Walking or Divine Lowlife, the bouncy electro-pop So Far So Good or the pac-man-esque Disc O’Nostalgia. All the way through, Yoshida applies sounds and effects to child-like melodies, turning them into humorous little odysseys, ranging from totally innocent to messy punk-ish tracks, with no particular order. Tracks like But Not For Me or The Day Before Yesterday are impressive by their melodic qualities and catchy feel. But then, Every Beauty Has It’s Scum, So Far So Good or Belly Button Queen are far more deconstructed. Yoshita has a tendency to disregard the rules, and genres collide when least expected, which makes Dummy Variations a refreshing experience.
Keeping well in line with most of Planet Mu releases, Joseph Nothing’s Dummy Variation is very heteroclite, and by scattering his little gems all along, he remains in control of a very creative and amusing record.
- Various - The Cosmic Forces Of Mu
- Venetian Snares - Defluxion
- Venetian Snares & Speedranch - Making Orange Things
- Joseph Nothing - Dummy Variations
- Hrvatski - Swarm & Dither
- Mu Allstars - Criminal
- Hellfish & Producer - Constant Mutation (Mixed)
- Leafcutter John - Microcontact
- Nicole Elmer - Beef Bouilion
- Tim Tetlow - Beauty Walks A Razor's Edge
- Phthalocyanine - 25 Tracks Fer 1 Track
- Leafcutter John - Concourse E.E.P.
- Luke Vibert - '95-'99
- Jega - Geometry
- Capitol K - Roadeater E.P.
- Kid Spatula - Full Sunken Breaks
- Jega & Kid Spatula - Unity Gain / Hard Love
- Capitol K - Sounds Of The Empire
- Slag Boom Van Loon - So Soon
- Tusken Raiders - The Motorbike Track
- Slag Boom Van Loon - Slag Boom Van Loon
- Jega - Spectrum
- Horse Opera - 3 Cornered Room
- Capitol K - Island Row