Although not a lot seems to be known about London-based Tim Tetlow, it is known that he has not recorded any new material since 1997, with his Planet Mu tracks dating from between 1995 and 1997.
Tetlow creates quite an odd mixture of melodic science programme theme tune keyboard lines and varying degrees of crisp thumping beats. Mike Paradinas himself has described Tetlow’s work as Mu-Ziq meets Boards of Canada, which is probably quite an
"Gentle electronics lightly burnished with wisps of good ol' fashioned melody"
Reviewed by Dave Mothersole (Muzik)
Everything about this album, from the slightly dangerous title to the picture of Mr Tetlow standing in a boat wearing a wide-brimmed leopard skin hat, silk shirt and a Seventies Burberry-print jacket, has clearly been given a lot of thought. The music as one might expect, is introspective, fragile and at times quite dark. There's nothing particularly groundbreaking about it, as for the most part it stays true to the already established patterns of
Hazy melodies that seem instantly familiar, the comfort of a tinny 808 and a wash of old school electro melodies and fantasy lullabies are the flavour of the day here. With the exception of a couple of tracks that veer off into the land of heavy distortion, this is an emotive, warm album with feeling. With more than a big friendly nod in the direction of Boards Of Canada and Aphex Twin, this is one to look out for.
"Assured debut LP of emotional electronica"
Reviewed by Paul Johnson (UNCUT)
Once an on-stage dancer for mu-ziq (label boss Mike Paradinas' main moniker), Bermudan-born/London-based Tetlow has progressed to masterminding intoxicating electronic instrumentals. Sweeping waves of lush electro-textures, triumphant soaring synth lines and rapid-fire beats are combined with an exacting ear for melody, delicately balancing these 14 tracks of aural euphoria between bliss and bathos. Poppy, eclectic, uplifting, confident - this album stands out in a field where it is easy to be competent but hard to be inspirational.
- Shitmat - Shopliftin' Gabba
- Jansky Noise & Speedranch - Mi^grate
- µ-Ziq - Bilious Paths
- Lexaunculpt - The Blurring Of Trees
- Ambulance - The Curse Of Vale Do Lobo
- Venetian Snares - Winter In The Belly Of A Snake
- Electronic Music Composer - Suggested Surgery
- Local - They Are Local
- Leafcutter John - The Housebound Spirit
- Various - Children Of Mu
- Venetian Snares - Higgins Ultra Low Track Glue Funk Hits 1972-2006
- Joseph Nothing - Dreamland Idle Orchestra
- Nautilis - Are You An Axolotl
- DJ Hekla - Eruption 1970
- Nautilis - Sketches Vol.1
- Decal - 404 Not Found
- Luke Vibert - Homewerk
- Kettel - Tadley Management E.P.
- Hellfish - Meat Machine Broadcast System
- Dykehouse - Dynamic Obsolescence
- Tim Tetlow - Cyrenic
- Electric Company - Slow Food
- Venetian Snares - Songs About My Cats
- o9 - No Delay For Days