Reviewed by Mixmag
Unlike other dubstep players like Skream and Burial whose backgroundwas in two-step/garage, Kent lad Distance was initially inspired to fire up the music software by the electronic touches of experimental metal bands like Tool and System Of A Down. You can really hear the rock influence here in the rigid, woody drums of 'Ska'and 'Weigh Down'. But what really dominates is a really edgy, strung-out brand of atmospherics: a bleak, sci-fi vibe with
Reviewed by Subba-Culcha
When the single Traffic, from dubsteppers Distance, hit the UK, it was a call to arms for all fans of the genre. A demonic, growling bass line grinded the echoing rave synths and punchy, dubstep break. All eyes were then on how Planet Mu’s Bromley dub connection would follow this up in album form. My Demons, Distance’s debut release, follows in the footsteps of the mammoth 2006 dubstep album, Hyperdub by Burial and whilst it exudes similar quality
Reviewed by Future Music
Planet Mu's move away from releasing only challenging material continues apace with this shoe-gazing extravaganza. It has elements of Sigur Ros, although the vocals enforce Radiohead comparisons, perhaps unfairly. Beautifully produced and crafted, it could still do with one or two tangetial tracks to help swing the mood from what is a very intense and rigid experience - although one you'll want to come back to and admire.
Reviewed by barcodezine
I make this the 7th U-Ziq (Mike Paradinas) album since the project’s conception in 1993. Renowned U-Ziq albums include Tango N’Vectif (1993), Lunatic Harness (1997) and Royal Astronomy (1999), all of which illuminated the ambient/electro genre.
With Duntisbourne Abbots Soulmate Devastation Technique, however, Paradinas stands nakedly transparent. Everything from the title to the artwork to the song titles to the music itself signals an
- Various - The Cosmic Forces Of Mu
- Venetian Snares - Defluxion
- Venetian Snares & Speedranch - Making Orange Things
- Joseph Nothing - Dummy Variations
- Hrvatski - Swarm & Dither
- Mu Allstars - Criminal
- Hellfish & Producer - Constant Mutation (Mixed)
- Leafcutter John - Microcontact
- Nicole Elmer - Beef Bouilion
- Tim Tetlow - Beauty Walks A Razor's Edge
- Phthalocyanine - 25 Tracks Fer 1 Track
- Leafcutter John - Concourse E.E.P.
- Luke Vibert - '95-'99
- Jega - Geometry
- Capitol K - Roadeater E.P.
- Kid Spatula - Full Sunken Breaks
- Jega & Kid Spatula - Unity Gain / Hard Love
- Capitol K - Sounds Of The Empire
- Slag Boom Van Loon - So Soon
- Tusken Raiders - The Motorbike Track
- Slag Boom Van Loon - Slag Boom Van Loon
- Jega - Spectrum
- Horse Opera - 3 Cornered Room
- Capitol K - Island Row