Reviewed by Carl Glaser Source: (ink19)
Weather Report and Aphex Twin. Jean-Michael Jarre and Atari Teenage Riot. Not names I'd ordinarily associate, but in a few instances, Jega manages to bring these un-conceived pairings to mind. Jega, aka Dylan Nathan, is a protégé of Mike Paradinas, and according to British Press is a pioneer of the aptly-titled "drill 'n' bass" scene. "Red Mullet" has a jazzy swing to it that belies the electronic analog sounds powering the song. The subsequent "Nia"
Because Jega has only produced some compilation tracks and a legendary, impossible-to-find lp on S.K.A.M., they have remained in undeserved obscurity. Thanks to Mu-Ziq's new label, they have released two new recordings. Sharp and quirky beats fusing techno, electro and 80's Euro-pop. Much appeal to fans of Autechre, Mu-Ziq, Aphex Twin and even Vince Gil. Stellar. Highly recommended.
After two Jega eps on Skam, Dylan J Nathan releases his first record on Mike Paradinas's Planet µ label. This one features four tracks in varying styles. The a1 is a dark squelchy electro cut with spacey synths and percussion that alternates between jazzy breakbeats & hip hop beats. During the hip hop segments there are dark synth lines and distorted vocal samples. The a2 is another dark electro cut with more of a retro or old skool flavor. It starts
Reviewed by Stephen Dalton (NME)
However ugly the term, drill'n'bass still sounds perfect for Dylan "Jega" Nathan and hisjarringly abstract machine-gun beat collages. Sometimes his ultra-precise work is easier to appreciate as engineering rather than music, but here he's fired up and on cracking form. Taken from his imminent "Spectrum" album, "Pitbull" is a layered confection of elegant cinematic melody, bruising hip-hop breaks and sense-shredding metallic junglism. The stealthy,
- Various - The Cosmic Forces Of Mu
- Venetian Snares - Defluxion
- Venetian Snares & Speedranch - Making Orange Things
- Joseph Nothing - Dummy Variations
- Hrvatski - Swarm & Dither
- Mu Allstars - Criminal
- Hellfish & Producer - Constant Mutation (Mixed)
- Leafcutter John - Microcontact
- Nicole Elmer - Beef Bouilion
- Tim Tetlow - Beauty Walks A Razor's Edge
- Phthalocyanine - 25 Tracks Fer 1 Track
- Leafcutter John - Concourse E.E.P.
- Luke Vibert - '95-'99
- Jega - Geometry
- Capitol K - Roadeater E.P.
- Kid Spatula - Full Sunken Breaks
- Jega & Kid Spatula - Unity Gain / Hard Love
- Capitol K - Sounds Of The Empire
- Slag Boom Van Loon - So Soon
- Tusken Raiders - The Motorbike Track
- Slag Boom Van Loon - Slag Boom Van Loon
- Jega - Spectrum
- Horse Opera - 3 Cornered Room
- Capitol K - Island Row