Reviewed by Tim diGravina (all music guide)
Venetian Snares, aka Aaron Funk, has proven himself a mad genius of drill'n'bass with Songs About My Cats. It's quite clear why Mike Paradinas, one of the genre's pioneers and most masterful practitioners, has praised Funk left and right and released most of Funk's recordings on his Planet µ label. Songs About My Cats is unrelenting in its use of distorted samples and massively twitchy digital electronic sounds that pummel a listener. But despite the
venetian snares: songs about my cats
Reviewed by philip raffaele (absorb.org)
nice. some low-key melody to start the show. not for long though. the madcap canadian, aaron funk brings his madness back with a disc that is a little quieter than some of his previous output, but by no means a calm recording. think of the words hushed, and gentle, than think of the most extreme antonyms possible. than you can get some idea of how 'songs about my cats' plays.
but this is not an insult by any means. in fact, i am one of those
hellfish: meat machine broadcast system
Reviewed by sheikh ahmed (absorb.org)
we enjoy skull-splitting demonic mental-as-fuck hardcore techno just as much as the next person, ask our neighbours. but while the concept of listening to this most extreme form of music on a daily basis may not seem particularly enticing (after all it does induce a headache after a while), essex-based producer hellifish has no problem in churning out what could be described as the musical work of satan.
musically, hardcore techno could be seen
Reviewed by Kingsley Marshall (all music guide)
As drum'n'bass took itself ever more seriously, so the likes of Hellfish and his brethren have thrived with a crazed, steroid-pumped vision of breakbeat punk. This second album of chaos for Mike Paradinas' imprint is a jackboot-wearing stomp through pile-driving beats, razor-wire basslines, skull-crunching feedback, and unforgiving sampling of vast tracts of hip-hop. The titles alone belie the material's subversiveness, with "Guerrillas on the Piss"
- Various - The Cosmic Forces Of Mu
- Venetian Snares - Defluxion
- Venetian Snares & Speedranch - Making Orange Things
- Joseph Nothing - Dummy Variations
- Hrvatski - Swarm & Dither
- Mu Allstars - Criminal
- Hellfish & Producer - Constant Mutation (Mixed)
- Leafcutter John - Microcontact
- Nicole Elmer - Beef Bouilion
- Tim Tetlow - Beauty Walks A Razor's Edge
- Phthalocyanine - 25 Tracks Fer 1 Track
- Leafcutter John - Concourse E.E.P.
- Luke Vibert - '95-'99
- Jega - Geometry
- Capitol K - Roadeater E.P.
- Kid Spatula - Full Sunken Breaks
- Jega & Kid Spatula - Unity Gain / Hard Love
- Capitol K - Sounds Of The Empire
- Slag Boom Van Loon - So Soon
- Tusken Raiders - The Motorbike Track
- Slag Boom Van Loon - Slag Boom Van Loon
- Jega - Spectrum
- Horse Opera - 3 Cornered Room
- Capitol K - Island Row