Reviewed by Joshua Glazer (all music guide)
One of the most intelligent and listenable hardcore records to see the light of day, this mix CD compiles a dozen self-made releases from Hellfish's Deathchant label, as well as hardcore outlets Rebel Scum and Psychik Genocide. These producers operate with the same tools as lesser gabber artists (compressed kick drums played at atrociously fast tempos, heavily filtered cymbal crashes, comical film and hip-hop samples), but the precision and creativity
Reviewed by Kitty Empire (NME)
Deprived of light, and never invited to the beach parties currently playing trance and garage, hardcore techno has turned ugly and vengeful. And thankfully it's looking good for it. "Constant Mutation" captures the process with time-lapse photography, uniting a dozen tracks previously released on the darkcore Deathchant label, and others. The Nietzschean pummel of gabba rhythms - the hardest of 'cores, beloved of shaven - headed Dutchmen - is never
ON THE DECKS:
Reviewed by Piers Martin (NME)
When Hellfish first met The DJ Producer, they both knew it was the start of something special.
Maybe it was the look in Hellfish's eyes as he handed the record to The DJ producer at that fateful Helter Skelter rave back in 1995, daring him to play it. Maybe it was the respect they'd had for one another since the scene's early-'90s halcyon period. Maybe they just liked each other's haircuts.
Whatever the reason, the five-year DJing,
Reviewed by Ben Willmott (icrunch.com)
Hellfish and Producer: Constant Mutation album (Planet µ) Hardcore experimentation that would make the apocalypse itself sound like a Val Doonican rocking chair session. Gabber techno and sped up drum and bass thrash violently about the place while old skool hip-hop samples provide momentary relief from the all-out assault. Genius? Almost certainly? Target audience? Rats on speed, by the sound of it, but who cares?
- Various - The Cosmic Forces Of Mu
- Venetian Snares - Defluxion
- Venetian Snares & Speedranch - Making Orange Things
- Joseph Nothing - Dummy Variations
- Hrvatski - Swarm & Dither
- Mu Allstars - Criminal
- Hellfish & Producer - Constant Mutation (Mixed)
- Leafcutter John - Microcontact
- Nicole Elmer - Beef Bouilion
- Tim Tetlow - Beauty Walks A Razor's Edge
- Phthalocyanine - 25 Tracks Fer 1 Track
- Leafcutter John - Concourse E.E.P.
- Luke Vibert - '95-'99
- Jega - Geometry
- Capitol K - Roadeater E.P.
- Kid Spatula - Full Sunken Breaks
- Jega & Kid Spatula - Unity Gain / Hard Love
- Capitol K - Sounds Of The Empire
- Slag Boom Van Loon - So Soon
- Tusken Raiders - The Motorbike Track
- Slag Boom Van Loon - Slag Boom Van Loon
- Jega - Spectrum
- Horse Opera - 3 Cornered Room
- Capitol K - Island Row