Reviewed by Johnny C (absorb.org)
arch noise corrupter aaron funk brings us his 3rd album of 2002, and it's his most advanced and creative work to date. the abrasive content from previous work has been toned down and added to with some extremely complex programming techniques which shows his creativity at its peak.
sinister intentions are aired from the start as it becomes clear they are dark forces at work. opening track 'dad' an ode to his late father, features vocals by
Another 7” winner on this impeccably curated and crafted series, this time coming to us from LA’s EMC, otherwise knows as Eight Frozen Modules. The title track spans the A-side with a blend of processed tones and glitch emissions, coupled with a deeply tweaked 2-stepping bass kick and a jackin’ attitude, a perfect appendix to the Criminal rips. ‘Wretched Idea’ on the flip is more DSP’d and messy, Tigerbeat styles brought to bass with some marvellous low-end handling, keen to wobble! Ace, and limited as per usual.
Blinding 16th installment in Planet Mu’s limited 7” series, this time coming to us from West Yorkshire’s ‘Local’. ‘They Are Local’ kicks off with some nifty analogue electrospasms that follow the Skanfrom handbook for synthpop pretty closely, before the track breaks halfway through and distorts itself into a genius spiritual follow-up to Aphex’s gigantic Windowlicker. Awesome stuff. ‘I am Local’ on the flip is more fragmented,
Reviewed by Rob Young (The Wire)
Within the first 40 seconds of "The Housebound Spirit", Leafcutter John Burton manages to assemble the kind of complex, suggestive soundscape that most producers working in the field struggle to deliver once during an entire album. It feels effortless - a scattering of nameless electroacoustic burbles, an evanescent guitar fragment, some treated temple bells and a sudden squall of violin - but these few sparse fragments of sound hang together with the
- Various - The Cosmic Forces Of Mu
- Venetian Snares - Defluxion
- Venetian Snares & Speedranch - Making Orange Things
- Joseph Nothing - Dummy Variations
- Hrvatski - Swarm & Dither
- Mu Allstars - Criminal
- Hellfish & Producer - Constant Mutation (Mixed)
- Leafcutter John - Microcontact
- Nicole Elmer - Beef Bouilion
- Tim Tetlow - Beauty Walks A Razor's Edge
- Phthalocyanine - 25 Tracks Fer 1 Track
- Leafcutter John - Concourse E.E.P.
- Luke Vibert - '95-'99
- Jega - Geometry
- Capitol K - Roadeater E.P.
- Kid Spatula - Full Sunken Breaks
- Jega & Kid Spatula - Unity Gain / Hard Love
- Capitol K - Sounds Of The Empire
- Slag Boom Van Loon - So Soon
- Tusken Raiders - The Motorbike Track
- Slag Boom Van Loon - Slag Boom Van Loon
- Jega - Spectrum
- Horse Opera - 3 Cornered Room
- Capitol K - Island Row