Reviewed by Jonathan Dean (brainwashed.com)
Aaron Funk is a musical sadist, and a prolific one. His predilection for relentless, uncompromising breakbeats has gained his main musical outlet Venetian Snares a lot of cred among fans of power electronics, drum n' bass and hardcore industrial. Dubbed "drill n' bass" by people who like to name things, Venetian Snares' sound palate is not all that far from his electronic contemporaries Squarepusher and Aphex Twin. What Funk brings to the table that
Reviewed by Justin Faase (musiquemachine.com)
Yes, the Funkster is back again for another bombing assault George Bush would be proud of, and that at a time we've almost lost count of the amount of releases this year. Winter In The Belly Of A Snake is originally scheduled for a late January 2003 release, but some U.S. online shops already got it, and as an addictive fan boy I just couldn't wait.
Winter In The Belly Of A Snake is the final part of a trilogy of releases on Planet Mu this
Reviewed by Marc Freeman (sonumu.net)
'Winter In The Belly Of A Snake' signals an important development in the accessibility of Venetian Snares material. Snares, aka Aaron Funk, has historically dished out the most brutal sonic assaults money can buy. His themes are wicked, his samples malicious, and his beats are akin to being repeatedly hit in the face with a mud-caked shovel. Funk's early full lengths, 'Shiver in Eternal Darkness' and 'Doll, Doll, Doll' are masterpieces of malevolent
Reviewed by adam anonymous (drowned in sound)
Let’s get things straight: Venetian Snares is not for the faint of heart. If regular electronica gets you thinking “ooh, all a bit unlistenable”, you may as well get fucked in the face as soon as listen to this.
The man otherwise known as Aaron Funk (honest to God!) flips his beat scattergun around with concurrent nonchalance and malevolence – too tuneful to be noise, too noisy to be tuneful.
Winnipeg’s weirdest isn’t some
- Various - The Cosmic Forces Of Mu
- Venetian Snares - Defluxion
- Venetian Snares & Speedranch - Making Orange Things
- Joseph Nothing - Dummy Variations
- Hrvatski - Swarm & Dither
- Mu Allstars - Criminal
- Hellfish & Producer - Constant Mutation (Mixed)
- Leafcutter John - Microcontact
- Nicole Elmer - Beef Bouilion
- Tim Tetlow - Beauty Walks A Razor's Edge
- Phthalocyanine - 25 Tracks Fer 1 Track
- Leafcutter John - Concourse E.E.P.
- Luke Vibert - '95-'99
- Jega - Geometry
- Capitol K - Roadeater E.P.
- Kid Spatula - Full Sunken Breaks
- Jega & Kid Spatula - Unity Gain / Hard Love
- Capitol K - Sounds Of The Empire
- Slag Boom Van Loon - So Soon
- Tusken Raiders - The Motorbike Track
- Slag Boom Van Loon - Slag Boom Van Loon
- Jega - Spectrum
- Horse Opera - 3 Cornered Room
- Capitol K - Island Row