Reviewed by andrew stevens (absorb.org)
irish electronica? geddaway! nope, seriously, here it is - ambulance's debut the curse of vale do lobo (i'm not sure why the portuguese resort of vale de lobo is cursed....), on the much vaunted planet mu. actually ambulance are not so short of respect themselves these days, with peelie and plaid among their advocates.
their reputation deserved, success on a more commercial level can be assured if this is an indication of what's to come in the
Reviewed by Fela Lewis (logo magazine)
Though they work in the field of electronics, the vistas that this Dublin duo - Dunk and Trev - create are less self-conscious and more organic than the majority of their peers, eschewing blasts of digital squall for a more measured approach that variously recalls the BBC Radiophonic Workshop’s sound effects for Dr Who and Blake’s 7 and the cyber-sex of Dinky, while the invention and attention to detail wouldn’t be wasted on a Mike Oldfield
Reviewed by Sam (tesselate.me.uk)
Them dubliners Ambulance finally drop their album into my boiling hands. After making me love them with an Untitled 7" on Planet Mu (ziq054), I have been waiting to hear the full length outing, and finally it has arrived. After Mike Paradinas asked them to work on an album for his label, they came back with TWO albums worth, and this is the first. More to come....
"Tickle" drops an electro beat from the offset with a tiny harmonica singing
Reviewed by Mark Martelli (Pitchfork)
What can you do but duck and cover with Aaron Funk? Bomb shelters won't do you any good; your gas mask might as well be crafted from Slim Jims and bubble wrap. As the crusty leather heart of breakcore sith lord Venetian Snares, Funk drops more Fat Men per month than militant tree huggers drop acid, and every endeavor is more potent than any microdot floating around Northern Oregon.
Belying the civility of his death-penalty-lacking homeland,
- Various - The Cosmic Forces Of Mu
- Venetian Snares - Defluxion
- Venetian Snares & Speedranch - Making Orange Things
- Joseph Nothing - Dummy Variations
- Hrvatski - Swarm & Dither
- Mu Allstars - Criminal
- Hellfish & Producer - Constant Mutation (Mixed)
- Leafcutter John - Microcontact
- Nicole Elmer - Beef Bouilion
- Tim Tetlow - Beauty Walks A Razor's Edge
- Phthalocyanine - 25 Tracks Fer 1 Track
- Leafcutter John - Concourse E.E.P.
- Luke Vibert - '95-'99
- Jega - Geometry
- Capitol K - Roadeater E.P.
- Kid Spatula - Full Sunken Breaks
- Jega & Kid Spatula - Unity Gain / Hard Love
- Capitol K - Sounds Of The Empire
- Slag Boom Van Loon - So Soon
- Tusken Raiders - The Motorbike Track
- Slag Boom Van Loon - Slag Boom Van Loon
- Jega - Spectrum
- Horse Opera - 3 Cornered Room
- Capitol K - Island Row