A trip to Planet Mu encompassing every aspect of electronica.
Reviewed by Ross Breadmore (subba-culcha.com)
Like any genre, electronica has as many variations as one could imagine, but possibly due to the increasingly accessible nature of making such music through easy to use music programs such as Cubase and Reactor, has even more. Anyone wishing to witness such variety could spend an awful lot of time and money investing in a wide array of albums and bastard-vrsions of little-known tracks, or they could spend 6 pounds and buy Planet Mu latest guide to
Reviewed by Darren Wall (Update, 30 Aug. 06)
Mike Paradinas' Planet Mu label is officially 100 releases old. This double CD release collects 24 exclusive tracks from artists, both new and established, to illustrate where the labels journey has brought it thus far. Luke Vibert, Venetian Snares, Shitmat, Daedelus, Jega, and µ-Ziq, pitch their wares against newcomers like 0=0, Mileece, Vex'd, Boxcutter, Virus Syndicate, throwing out all sorts of shapes across dubstep, breakcore, raggacore, and
Reviewed by Ol' Curly (Vice, Sept. 06)
In the tradition of fancy milestone albums featuring gold covers, free beachmats and the like, Planet Mu celebrate 100 releases with a double barrelled burst of mixed beats ranging from the surprisingly mellow to not-so-surprising mash-ups for which Mu is famed. Vice favourites include the Canada bigging-up "Toronto V.I.P." and the stark, menacing evil of "Luton Airport Parkway" __terrifying.
Reviewed by Ali Burge (Cyclic Defrost Magaizine)
Originally intended to mark the label’s 100th release, Sacred Symbols of Mu has suffered a similar fate to the much delayed Planet Mu DVD. Now fully complete, mastered and pressed, this label overview compilation demonstrates just what has changed at Planet Mu in the 3 years since Children of Mu, and what hasn’t. There are of course tracks from label stalwarts like owner μ-ziq, Venetian Snares, Luke Vibert, Shitmat, Leafcutter John and Dykehouse
- Various - The Cosmic Forces Of Mu
- Venetian Snares - Defluxion
- Venetian Snares & Speedranch - Making Orange Things
- Joseph Nothing - Dummy Variations
- Hrvatski - Swarm & Dither
- Mu Allstars - Criminal
- Hellfish & Producer - Constant Mutation (Mixed)
- Leafcutter John - Microcontact
- Nicole Elmer - Beef Bouilion
- Tim Tetlow - Beauty Walks A Razor's Edge
- Phthalocyanine - 25 Tracks Fer 1 Track
- Leafcutter John - Concourse E.E.P.
- Luke Vibert - '95-'99
- Jega - Geometry
- Capitol K - Roadeater E.P.
- Kid Spatula - Full Sunken Breaks
- Jega & Kid Spatula - Unity Gain / Hard Love
- Capitol K - Sounds Of The Empire
- Slag Boom Van Loon - So Soon
- Tusken Raiders - The Motorbike Track
- Slag Boom Van Loon - Slag Boom Van Loon
- Jega - Spectrum
- Horse Opera - 3 Cornered Room
- Capitol K - Island Row