Reviewed by Alex (dot-alt.com)
In London the major label free-for-all signing of grime artists continues and the hype is verging on the ridiculous. Meanwhile in Manchester, MarkOne and the Virus Syndicate MCs drop an album on an IDM label and it's like hardly anyone really even noticed.
Distinctly different from the clicky, militaristic state-of-the-art sound of London grime, MarkOne's productions combine the breaks of older garage with towering DNB basslines. The results
Reviewed by k-punk (k-punk)
It needed someone outside the capital to synthesize the East and South London Grime sounds. The Billingsgate verbal frenzy of the East and the depopulated post-nuclear Croydon ring road of the South have been met in Manchester, on a ‘Dance’ music LP that, gratifyingly, is compulsive over its full length, The album actually outstrips the potential displayed on the MarkOne tracks from Rephlex’s brilliant Grime comp. It leers and lurches with a
Reviewed by kek-w (kid shirt)
The new Mark One LP on Planet Mu is fucking excellent, by the way.
A nice mixture of dense, brooding, Grimey/Sub-Lo skunkstrimentals and upliftingly-grubby little shoutalongs spread across three thick slabs of vinyl. Detuned square-wave synth-sounds give an early Warp Records/Bleep vibe to a couple of tracks, while others seem to revel in oppressive, paranoid beats and orchestral-stabs worthy of mid-period Cabaret Voltaire: you can almost hear the
Reviewed by Corey H. Maass (igloomag.com)
Mark One's One Way is one of the first full length grime albums that has received a lot of attention outside the UK. Grime, itself a sub-genre of UK Garage, has been getting a lot of attention in the UK and Europe, but I fear it'll pass America by as so many other styles. Too bad, as it perpetuates UK rap as something completely separate from the US as well as the harder, darker side of garage, like techstep or drill-n-bass was to drum-n-bass.
- Last Step - You're A Nice Girl
- Dolphin & The Teknoist - Soul Cannibal / Closing Down
- Bizzy B - Science EP Vol V
- Kyler - Pur Cosy Tales
- Hellfish - One Man Sonic Attack Force
- Virus Syndicate - The Work-Related Illness
- Virus Syndicate - Slow Down
- Shitmat - The Lesser Spotted Burberry EP
- Bizzy B - Science EP Volumes III + IV
- Bizzy B - Science EP Vol IV
- Exile - Pro Agonist
- Vex'd - Degenerate
- Vex'd - Gunman
- John B & Exile - Broken Language
- Mark One - One Way
- Venetian Snares & Bong-Ra - 4 Adaptations Of Rossz Csillag Alatt Született
- Venetian Snares - Rossz Csillag Alatt Született
- Ed Lawes - 14 Tracks/Pieces
- Eight Frozen Modules - DJ, Riddim & Source E.P.
- dDamage - Pressure
- Bizzy B - Science EP Vol III
- Hawerchuk - Camel Toe
- Shitmat - Full English Breakfest