Reviewed by alex whitehead (rock sound)
There's not much to be said for disorgansed cacophony, whatever the advocates of punk improv might try and tell you. Organized cacophony, however, is an entierly different matter and Chevron play that game with no mean skill. 'Everything's Exactly The Same' dispenses with musical niceties, and cuts straight to the chase with a screeching assult on the senses, a perfect introduction to an album of pressurized electronica. Some of it might fall flat
Reviewed by Ali Burge (DJ magazine)
It has been a long time since a truly outstanding practitioner of the dark art of ambient drill n bass has stepped out into the light. With ‘Everything’s Exactly the Same’, Chevron has transformed himself from shy debutante to knob-twiddler extraordinaire. Everything about this album is sublime: dubby electronics make small talk with ambient beats and ragga mc’ing mingles with harsh breaks and bass. Even at its most energetic, Chevron is restrained enough not to take the music to extremes, making this one of 2005’s most unexpected musical joys.
Reviewed by Luke Killen (cyclic defrost)
Chevron’s latest album veers from 8 bit buzz, tracker-produced chopiness to warm Bola-like bass and sweet blip. Jungle is clearly close to the heart of Jonathan Valentine. This is particularly evident in Running Out of Time and the cheeky Rudi The Techno Pioneer where a rolling bass line trundles along with dynamic breaks all toasted to a Christmas song. Ever so often we are treated to a glimpse of punk sentiment that’s cuts short like a noisy
Reviewed by Céline Lecompte (funkymofo.net)
Jonathan Valentine aka Chevron is nothing short of an electronic music genius. It’s only February and it’s already the second time this year that a new artist has blasted Funky Mofo’s ears!
“Everything’s Exactly The Same” is a marvel of sound production: drifting between drum ‘n’ bass, jungle and hardcore it still manages to encapsulate melody within its space. A great thing about this album is that almost every track lives up to
- Darqwan - M/a...ximum Reespek
- iTAL tEK - Blood Line
- Ceephax - Megalift E.P.
- The Doubtful Guest - Electrobotz
- Milanese - Extend
- Pinch - Punisher
- Mary Anne Hobbs - Warrior Dubz
- Tim Exile - Tim Exile's Nuisance Gabbaret Lounge
- Venetian Snares - Cavalcade Of Glee And Dadaist Happy Hardcore Pom Poms
- Boxcutter - Oneiric
- Boxcutter - Tauhid
- Uniform - Protocol
- Shitmat & Friends - Gary's Gruesome Remixes
- Guilty Connector - Beats, Noise & Life
- The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble - The Kilimanjaro Darkjazz Ensemble
- Venetian Snares - Hospitality
- The Gasman - This One's For You
- Breakage - Drowning
- Equinox - Acid Rain V.I.P.
- Pinch - Qawwali
- Virus Syndicate - Ready To Learn
- Virus Syndicate - Ready To Learn Remix
- Vex'd - Bombardment Of Saturn
- µ-Ziq - Ease Up