Reviewed by Tim Roach (Jockey Slut)
The debut LP by well-travelled young producer Tatsuya Joseph Yoshida presents a more playful side of electronica than those of most of his peers, appearingmuch longer than it's 45-minute running time due to the quick-fire nature of the 17 tracks. The intense computerised rhythms that currently rule the genre are cut up with a scrapbook honesty so, in "Every Beauty Has It's Scum", the hardcore rave pretensions of some producers are used purely for the
Reviewed by John Mulvey (NME)
Pass the Sunny Delight ands the revolver. "Dummy Variations" is the not entirely pleasant sound of kindergarten anarchy, where the heads of Teletubbies are paraded on sticks and the nursery is equipped with padded walls. Its main conceit is to take saccharine melodies, the sort built into toys and music boxes, and then corrupt themn with a barrage of drill'n'bass, creating a hyperactive equivalent to Boards Of Canada's creepy evocations of childhood.
Reviewed by MR (Overload Media)
Being the latest of one Tatsuya Joseph Yoshida, he of the previous incarnation on Sub Rosa as Rom=Pari. The press release states that Joseph's strengths are creating "memorable melodic hooklines which evoke childhood". What this means is that these tracks, although undeniably inventive to these ears, come across as twee and noodling most of the time. Too cute for their own good, Joseph Nothing's Dummy Variations are an insanely catchy and incredibly
Joseph Nothing's debut album for Planet Mu Records (www.planet-mu.com) is surely the best release thus far from U-Ziq's hard-hitting leftfield label.
From the opening track 'A Shine On Your Head', a fast-moving melody driven track that wouldn't sound out of place on U-Ziq's 'Brace Yourself' CD or Aphex Twin's 'Richard D James Album', you just know you're in for an 'intelligent dance music' treat.
The album doesn't disappoint either, apart
- Eskmo - Let Them Sing
- Ikonika - Smuck
- Geiom & Shortstuff - No Hand Signals
- Starkey - OK Luv
- Raffertie - 7th Dimension
- Ceephax Acid Crew - United Acid Emirates
- Kuedo - Dream Sequence E.P.
- Starkey - Ephemeral Exhibits
- Neil Landstrumm - Lord For £39
- Distance - Repercussions
- Last Step - 1961
- Mrs Jynx - The Standoffish Cat
- Venetian Snares - My Downfall (Original Soundtrack)
- Meat Beat Manifesto - Autoimmune
- iTAL tEK - Cyclical
- Mary Anne Hobbs - Evangeline
- Venetian Snares - Miss Balaton
- Various Production & Virus Syndicate - Apollo/Neva Argue
- Sunken Foal - Fermented Condiments
- Sunken Foal - Fallen Arches
- Venetian Snares - Detrimentalist
- The Gasman - Superlife
- Eero Johannes - Eero Johannes
- Virus Syndicate - Sick Pay