Reviewed by killeye (inthemix.com.au)
Mary Anne Hobbs’ biography reads like a music journo’s dream career. She’s worked powerhouse UK publications such as NME and Loaded. She’s also worked behind the mic with XFM (in trial broadcasts) and eventually wound up on BBC’s Radio 1, presenting her ‘experimental show,’ with the following ethos, “My mission remains exactly the same… to bring the finest dark experimental electronic music on earth to you.” Warrior Dubz, then, is
Reviewed by Sharon O'Connell (Time Out)
In her Radio 1 ‘Breezeblock’ sessions, Mary Anne Hobbs probes the more arcane corners of new electronic music. This collection of dubstep, grime, dark drum ’n’ bass, post-techno and all manner of genre-dodging hybrids provides an intro for the novice, while offering up fresh exclusives for older ears. From Andy Stott’s ‘Black’ (think Underworld caught in a K-hole), through Spor’s dark ’n’ deranged ‘Hydra’ to the deep-space wobble of Loefah’s ‘Mud VIP’, there’s a tune here to suit every beats explorer.
The latest thing is still Dubstep and the warrior queen leading the charge on Radio 1 is Mary Anne Hobbs (not pictured).
Reviewed by Gerry Hectic (FLY)
The compilation Mary Ann Hobbs Presents The Warrior Dubz is already a Beginners Guide to Dubstep as things move on at a lighting pace, reminiscent of the early drum’n’bass scene where last night’s acetate was old news.
Even so, MAH has put together some serious tracks that may not all be your underground hardcore dubsteppers choice but there’s some early classics included. ‘Music Box’ by Benga is exclusive to this release so worth
Reviewed by Boomkat (Boomkat)
Considering how young a genre Dubstep is, it's astonishing what a broad and textured palate of sound has been incorporated by the various proponents. Pretty much dictated by white labels and limited runs, dubstep has nonetheless been a slippery beast to grab hold of for the more causal listener; and that's where Mary Anne Hobbs comes in. Wielding the dubstep torch with genuine pleasure, Mary Anne's Breezeblock has been a crucial touchstone for those
- Rudi Zygadlo - Great Western Laymen
- FaltyDL - Endeavour
- Ikonika - Dckhdbtch
- FaltyDL - Phreqaflex
- DJ Nate - Hatas Our Motivation
- Oriol - Night And Day
- Vex'd - Cloud Seed
- Terror Danjah - Power Grid E.P.
- Oriol - Coconut Coast
- Ital Tek - Moment In Blue E.P.
- Rossi B & Luca (feat. Killa P.) - E10 Riddim
- Starkey - Ear Drums And Black Holes
- The Internal Tulips - Mislead Into A Field By A Deformed Deer
- Starkey - Stars (feat. Anneka)
- Slugabed - Ultra Heat Treated E.P.
- Venetian Snares - Horsey Noises
- FaltyDL - Love Is A Liability
- Luke Vibert - We Hear You
- Boxcutter - Arecibo Message
- Shitmat - One Foot In The Rave
- Terror Danjah - Industry Standard Part 4
- Terror Danjah - Gremlinz (The Instrumentals 2003-2009)
- Burnkane - You Know
- Subeena Ft. Jamie Woon & Om'Mas Keith - Solidify