DJ Roc The Crack Capone Review
Reviewed by Chris Power Source: (BBC Review)
Following DJ Nate’s Da Trak Genious, DJ Roc’s The Crack Capone continues Planet Mu’s sequence of juke releases. Juke is a faster variant of ghetto house, the raw, minimal house style that developed in Chicago in the 1990s, and until now much of it has only been available in the UK as low quality YouTube rips. The juke variant currently in vogue – particularly, on this side of the Atlantic, with DJs and producers occupying the loosely defined
DJ Roc ‘The Crack Capone’ (Planet Mu)
Reviewed by Albert Freeman Source: (Halcyon)
With a steadily increasing amount of UK-based buzz directed towards the Chicago Juke House style and increasingly major UK artists seeking to emulate this sound in their productions, forward-thinking UK label Planet Mu goes the full monty with an album’s worth of productions from Chicago-based DJ Roc, an established legend in the Juke scene. As the UK scene has steadily diversified and fragmented over the previous few years, the always-hungry
Chicago Footworking Compilation - Bangs & Works
Reviewed by Unknown Source: (Tuneraker.com)
The 25 short sharp hits of Chicago Footwork music compiled on ‘Bangs & Works’ shock and thrill even at a time when music is ubiquitous. A bunch of ghetto kids reconstruct dance music into futuristic cartoon collages. Samples fly thick and fast and most tracks implode within the three minutes mark, exhausted from the sheer level of intensity.
Footworking is a fast, 150 to 160bpm (beats per minute) dance style that has caught on in a small
Dj Rashad – Itz Not Rite
Reviewed by Richard Carnes Source: (Resident Advisor)
2010 will be seen as the year where footwork went overground, at least when it comes to European exposure. One of the men who has been instrumental in bringing this about has been Planet Mu boss Mike Paradinas, throwing his weight behind the sound with releases from DJ Nate, DJ Roc and the man who is arguably the most popular contemporary producer on the Chicago scene, DJ Rashad.
With the exception of the lead cut's stuttering soul-infused clap
- Rudi Zygadlo - Great Western Laymen
- FaltyDL - Endeavour
- Ikonika - Dckhdbtch
- FaltyDL - Phreqaflex
- DJ Nate - Hatas Our Motivation
- Oriol - Night And Day
- Vex'd - Cloud Seed
- Terror Danjah - Power Grid E.P.
- Oriol - Coconut Coast
- Ital Tek - Moment In Blue E.P.
- Rossi B & Luca (feat. Killa P.) - E10 Riddim
- Starkey - Ear Drums And Black Holes
- The Internal Tulips - Mislead Into A Field By A Deformed Deer
- Starkey - Stars (feat. Anneka)
- Slugabed - Ultra Heat Treated E.P.
- Venetian Snares - Horsey Noises
- FaltyDL - Love Is A Liability
- Luke Vibert - We Hear You
- Boxcutter - Arecibo Message
- Shitmat - One Foot In The Rave
- Terror Danjah - Industry Standard Part 4
- Terror Danjah - Gremlinz (The Instrumentals 2003-2009)
- Burnkane - You Know
- Subeena Ft. Jamie Woon & Om'Mas Keith - Solidify