Various Artists Bangs & Works, Vol. 1: A Chicago Footwork Compilation
Reviewed by Andrew Gaerig Source: (Pitchfork)
Let's be clear: footwork, or footwurk, or footwerk is not blowing up. Not like dubstep or electroclash or hyphy blew up. Footwork is really more of a lit fuse at this point, and one of those painfully slow, Wile E. Coyote-style fuses at that. Roughly, footwork pits sharp, repetitive samples of soul, hip-hop, and reggae against limping, junkyard-dog 808s. It is music composed, at least theoretically, to encourage a specific kind of dancing, but the
Various Artists Bangs & Works Vol. 1 (A Chicago Footwork Compilation) Review
Reviewed by David Stubbs Source: (BBC Music)
Arising from mutant, Chicago-based house scenes from the mid-90s known variously as ghetto house and juke, the current footwork scene is a new, competitive strain of dance set around the 160bpm mark and involving some staggeringly fleet dance moves, shown off in gyms, abandoned warehouses and so forth. Bangs & Works Vol. 1 is a compilation of cuts by the DJs who provide the soundtrack for these moves, including DJ Nate and DJ Roc.
SOLAR BEARS She Was Coloured In 10/10 review
Reviewed by THEYDON BOIS Source: (Vice Magazine)
A reclusive duo from some Celtic rural idyll with straw in their sampler who concoct ragged, blissed-out disco jams and curdled sci-fi funk? Yep, Solar Bears have probably heard one or two Boards of Canada records in the past, but their enchanting take on sepia-synthed nostalgia means there’s more to this Irish pair than a broken Bagpuss VHS and their uncle’s Vangelis compilation. Heavily atmospheric and sounding like it was made in a garden shed
DJ Rashad: Itz Not Rite EP
Reviewed by Colin McKean Source: (Fact Magazine)
Ever feel a bit numbed by Web 2.0? Musically I mean – I’m not talking about pornography or anything. You can spend all day listening to pretty much whatever you like; being exposed to esoteric styles and subgenres from all over the world you probably never knew existed. Kuduro, gamelan, hauntological, hypnagogic – it even expands your vocabulary. I feel glutted.
In no way would I argue this is a bad thing, it makes albums like Flylo’s
- Rudi Zygadlo - Great Western Laymen
- FaltyDL - Endeavour
- Ikonika - Dckhdbtch
- FaltyDL - Phreqaflex
- DJ Nate - Hatas Our Motivation
- Oriol - Night And Day
- Vex'd - Cloud Seed
- Terror Danjah - Power Grid E.P.
- Oriol - Coconut Coast
- Ital Tek - Moment In Blue E.P.
- Rossi B & Luca (feat. Killa P.) - E10 Riddim
- Starkey - Ear Drums And Black Holes
- The Internal Tulips - Mislead Into A Field By A Deformed Deer
- Starkey - Stars (feat. Anneka)
- Slugabed - Ultra Heat Treated E.P.
- Venetian Snares - Horsey Noises
- FaltyDL - Love Is A Liability
- Luke Vibert - We Hear You
- Boxcutter - Arecibo Message
- Shitmat - One Foot In The Rave
- Terror Danjah - Industry Standard Part 4
- Terror Danjah - Gremlinz (The Instrumentals 2003-2009)
- Burnkane - You Know
- Subeena Ft. Jamie Woon & Om'Mas Keith - Solidify