Although closer to dubstep than the likes of The Bug, Vex'd live in the twilight between grime/dubstep and an Aphex-like twisted view of techno and drum & bass.
Comprising duo Jamie and Roly, they share a common jungle heritage (which, despite the heavy hip hop marketing, is unquestionalby the root of grime/dubstep, etc). Opening the LP with fragmented breakbeats and deep rumbling acid on 'Pop Pop VIP', 'Thunder' moves properly into the sub-lo
Reviewed by Louis Pattison (Plan B, Aug/Sept. 05)
Bass is the bedrock of dance music: it's the synthesis of low-end with rhythm that creates the illusion of motion out of abstract sound. Sometimes it is best applied sparingly, a passing ghost, or a steady, minimal pulse. Not so for London production duo Vex'd, for whom the bassline is a constant: massaged and furrowed, distorted and diffused, fired through faders and refracted through lenses. Low-end isn't just a facet of the paradigm - it is the
Reviewed by Adam Anonymous (Undercover, Aug. 05)
Dubstep is a micro-genre that provides rich pickings for obsessively knowledgeable heads, yet corsses over so closely with grime in fanbase terms that any wax-spinner could drop it between Dizzee and Kano without a raver blinking. Vex'd suck up all that and more, spewing forth an ominously black portion equally indebted to jungle's nihilistic rush and the cold precision of experimental electronica. In the rubble of a dozen influences, however, the
Reviewed by LMT, Vanity Project 16 2005 (Vanity Project)
I have a theory on why purveyors of electronic music invent so many sub-genres. It's so that their own music can appear unizue, when actually it sounds very similar to every other Aphex Twin inspired rip-off. Vex'd need not play such games as they genuinely have a sound of their own. Early single 'Pop Pop' (here in an updated 'V.I.P.' form) is the best cut, but the sheer darkness of 'Thunder', and the cold production of 'Venus' offer something new in this field.
- Rudi Zygadlo - Great Western Laymen
- FaltyDL - Endeavour
- Ikonika - Dckhdbtch
- FaltyDL - Phreqaflex
- DJ Nate - Hatas Our Motivation
- Oriol - Night And Day
- Vex'd - Cloud Seed
- Terror Danjah - Power Grid E.P.
- Oriol - Coconut Coast
- Ital Tek - Moment In Blue E.P.
- Rossi B & Luca (feat. Killa P.) - E10 Riddim
- Starkey - Ear Drums And Black Holes
- The Internal Tulips - Mislead Into A Field By A Deformed Deer
- Starkey - Stars (feat. Anneka)
- Slugabed - Ultra Heat Treated E.P.
- Venetian Snares - Horsey Noises
- FaltyDL - Love Is A Liability
- Luke Vibert - We Hear You
- Boxcutter - Arecibo Message
- Shitmat - One Foot In The Rave
- Terror Danjah - Industry Standard Part 4
- Terror Danjah - Gremlinz (The Instrumentals 2003-2009)
- Burnkane - You Know
- Subeena Ft. Jamie Woon & Om'Mas Keith - Solidify